Interact with a report in Editing view in the Power BI service
You can create and edit reports in both the Power BI service and Power BI Desktop. In the Power BI service, you create and edit reports in Editing view. And in Power BI Desktop, you create and edit reports in Report view. This article covers Editing view in the Power BI service.
The Power BI service has two different modes for interacting with reports -- Reading view for report consumers and Editing view for report owners and creators. A Power BI Pro license is required for sharing reports as well as for editing reports created by others. If you don't have a Pro license, you can still create reports, but you can't share them.
In report Editing view, you have lots of flexibility in both exploring and designing a report. All the Reading view functionality is available -- plus lots more. Editing view is only available to the person who created the report or to colleagues who co-own a report as a member or admin of a workspace.
Functionality only available in Editing view
Take a look at the list of topics under the Reports header in the Table of Contents to the left. It's a long list and many of the topics cover functionality only available if you have editing permissions for a report. To help you navigate the Table of Contents, Editing view is required for the following actions:
- Creating, editing, renaming, sharing, and deleting reports.
- Adding, renaming, rearranging, and deleting report pages.
- Formatting reports.
- Adding visualizations, text boxes, shapes, and buttons to a report.
- Adding visual-level, page-level, and report-level filters and setting visual interactions.
- Creating refresh schedules.
- Q&A - asking questions in reports.
- Showing data used to create the visualization.
- Setting up drill through.
- Duplicating a report page.
Considerations and troubleshooting
A Power BI Pro license is required to edit reports created by others as well as to share your reports with others. If you don't have a Pro license, you can still create reports, but you can't share them.
More questions? Try the Power BI Community