Exercise 1: Building workflows with Visio 2010
In this first exercise you will create a simple process in Visio 2010 and export it to SharePoint Designer 2010.
- Start by setting up the site collection using the SetupLab07.bat file in C:\Student\Labs\07_Workflow.
Launch Visio 2010 and select the FlowChart folder.
FlowChart templates folder
Within the FlowChart folder create a new file using the Microsoft SharePoint Workflow template.
Select the Microsoft SharePoint workflow folder
- Click the Create button in the right pane.
Using the toolbox on the left hand side of the window, locate the SharePoint Workflow Terminators section and add a Start and Terminate shape to the diagram.
The SharePoint Workflow Terminators
- Open the SharePoint Workflow Conditions section and add a Compare Data Source shape to the diagram.
- Double click and change its name to Check if manager approval is needed.
- 7.Open the SharePoint Workflow Actions section and add three Log to History List shapes to the diagram.
- Double click the first and change its name to Log Manager approval required.
- Double click the next and change its name to Log automatically approved.
- Double click the last and change its name to Log submission to HR.
Add the process flow connections between the shapes. Use the image below as an example.
- Add connections by hovering over the source shape, clicking and dragging one of the arrows to the target shape (make certain that you see a red square over the destination to ensure that you are connecting the shapes together correctly).(Note: to add two connections (as in Check if Manager to the next 2 Log actions simply use another arrow (when hovering over the diamond shape) it will automatically move into the correct position).
Add connections between the log actions
- Label the connections flowing from the condition yes or no depending on the process flow.
- Right click the connection from Check if manager approval is needed to Log Manager approval required and select Yes.
Right click the connection from Check if manager approval is needed to Log automatically approved and select No.
Configure the connections
- Save the process diagram to C:\Student\Labs\07_Workflow\ with a name of TimeSheet Submission Workflow.vsd.
Export the process by selecting the Process ribbon in Visio 2010 and clicking the Export button.
Export the workflow
- Save the exported workflow to C:\Student\Labs\07_Workflow\ with a name of TimeSheet Submission Workflow.vwi.
In this exercise you created a SharePoint workflow using Visio 2010 for use in future lab exercises.