How to Report a Problem with Visual Studio 2017
If you encounter a problem with Visual Studio, we want to know about it so that we can diagnose and fix it. By using the Report a Problem tool, you can collect detailed information about the problem and then send it to Microsoft with just a few button clicks.
Microsoft respects your privacy. For information about how we treat the data that you send to us, see Microsoft Visual Studio Product Family Privacy Statement.
Open the Report a Problem tool
Click the user feedback icon next to Quick Launch in the title bar, or click Help | Send Feedback | Report a Problem.
Sign in to Visual Studio
If you haven't already done so, you'll want to sign in to Visual Studio before you report a problem. That way, not only can you report a problem that you're experiencing, but you can vote or comment on it or on any other problem that you see posted, too.
- Click Sign In; it's on the left-hand side of the tool, as shown in the following screenshot.
- Follow the instructions on-screen to sign in.
Search and vote for similar problems
- Search for your problem and see if others have reported it already.
- If someone has reported it, "up vote" it to let us know.
Report a new problem
- At the bottom left of the Visual Studio Report a Problem tool, click the "+" button.
- Create a descriptive title for the problem that will help us route it to the correct Visual Studio team.
- Give us any additional details, and if possible, provide us with the steps to reproduce the problem.
Provide a screenshot and attachments (optional)
Choose to send your current screen to Microsoft. You can attach additional screenshots or other files by clicking the Attach Additional Files button.
Provide a trace and heap dump (optional)
Trace and heap dump files are very useful in helping us diagnose problems. We appreciate it very much when you use the Report a Problem tool to record your repro steps and send the data to Microsoft. Here's how to do so.
- Click the Record tab.
- Click Start Recording. Give permission to run the tool.
- When the Steps Recorder tool appears, perform the steps that reproduce the problem.
- When you are done, click the Stop Record button in the floating window.
- Wait a few minutes for Visual Studio to collect and package the information that you recorded. When it is done, you'll see a dialog that looks similar to the following.
Submit the report
Click the Submit button to send your report, along with any images and trace or dump files. (If the Submit button is grayed out, make sure that you have provided a title and description for the report.)