Protect your organization against web threats
Want to experience Microsoft Defender ATP? Sign up for a free trial.
Web protection in Microsoft Defender ATP uses network protection to secure your machines against web threats. By integrating with Microsoft Edge and popular third-party browsers like Chrome and Firefox, web protection stops web threats without a web proxy and can protect machines while they are away or on premises. Web protection stops access to phishing sites, malware vectors, exploit sites, untrusted or low-reputation sites, as well as sites that you have blocked in your custom indicator list.
It can take up to an hour for machines to receive new customer indicators.
With web protection, you also get:
- Comprehensive visibility into web threats affecting your organization
- Investigation capabilities over web-related threat activity through alerts and comprehensive profiles of URLs and the machines that access these URLs
- A full set of security features that track general access trends to malicious and unwanted websites
Web protection uses network protection to provide web browsing security on Microsoft Edge and third-party web browsers.
To turn on network protection on your machines:
- Edit the Microsoft Defender ATP security baseline under Web & Network Protection to enable network protection before deploying or redeploying it. Learn about reviewing and assigning the Microsoft Defender ATP security baseline
- Turn network protection on using Intune device configuration, SCCM, Group Policy, or your MDM solution. Read more about enabling network protection
If you set network protection to Audit only, blocking will be unavailable. Also, you will be able to detect and log attempts to access malicious and unwanted websites on Microsoft Edge only.
In this section
|Monitor web security||Monitor attempts to access malicious and unwanted websites.|
|Respond to web threats||Investigate and manage alerts related to malicious and unwanted websites. Understand how end users are notified whenever a web threat is blocked.|