SQL managed instance
A managed instance in Azure SQL Database is a fully managed SQL Server Database Engine Instance hosted in Azure cloud. This is the best PaaS option for migrating your SQL Server database to the cloud. Learn how to create and use Managed Instance with our quickstarts, tutorials, and samples.
Find out more information about managed instance in Azure SQL Database.
Rich surface area
Near 100% SQL feature compatibility with the latest version of SQL Server Database Engine.
Secure service placed in your private Azure VNet with private IP addresses.
Cost-effective solution for deploying multiple managed instances that share the resources.
Easily migrate your on-prem databases to Azure cloud using native restore.
Migration without downtime
Migrate a fleet of databases with minimal downtime using Database Migration Service.
Save up to 40% with Azure Hybrid Benefit (AHB) with your existing on-premises licenses.
Azure PaaS enables you to use 99.99% available instance with minimal management.
Choose between General Purpose and Business Critical service tiers depending on your business needs.
Managed instance enables you to easily perform basic management tasks using the Azure portal, Azure CLI, and Azure PowerShell. Learn how to perform basic management tasks using the following quickstart samples:
Step-by-Step tutorials and learning materials
Learn how to create, manage, and use managed instances.
- Learn how to quickly get started with managed instance using our quickstart guides.
- Learn about hardware characteristics and limitations, Transact-SQL language differences, and Transact-SQL, PowerShell, Azure CLI API for configuring managed instance.
- Configure Azure VNet where the managed instance will be deployed.
- Validate that your existing Azure VNet can be used to deploy managed instances.
- Connect to your instance using Public IP endpoint, Azure Virtual Machine or Point-to-site connection, or Applications.
- Verify that your database can be migrated using Data Migration Assistant or Database Experimentation Assistant.
- Bring your databases to managed instance using Native restore or Data Migration Service.
- Move your SSIS packages to Azure Data Factory, SSAS tabular models to Azure Analysis Service, and SSRS reports to PowerBI Premium.
- Learn about the storage layer in General Purpose tier and apply storage performance best practices and considerations for General Purpose service tier.
- Find the best practices and recommendations for securing your instance.
- Find more How-to guides that can help you configure your managed instance.