About Azure Migrate
This article provides a quick overview of Azure Migrate.
Azure Migrate helps you to migrate your enterprise from on-premises to Azure. Azure Migrate provides a centralized hub to track discovery, assessment, and migration of on-premises infrastructure, applications, and data to Azure. Azure Migrate provides:
- Unified migration platform: A single portal to start, run, and track your migration journey to Azure.
- Range of tools: The hub provides Azure Migrate tools assessment and migration, and integrates with other Azure services, as well other tools and independent software vendor (ISV) offerings.
- Workloads: Azure Migrate provides assessment and migration for:
- Servers: Use Azure Migrate Server Assessment, Azure Migrate Server Migration, and other tools, for assessment and migration of servers to Azure VMs.
- Databases: Leverage Microsoft and ISV tools for assessment and migration of on-premises databases to Azure SQL DB, or Azure SQL Managed Instance.
- Web applications: Use Azure App Service Assistant to assess and migrate on-premises web applications to Azure App Service.
- Virtual desktops: Use ISV tools to assess and migrate on-premises virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) to Windows Virtual Desktop in Azure.
- Data: Use the Azure Data Box family of products to quickly and cost-effectively migrate large amounts of data to Azure.
Azure Migrate versions
There are currently two versions of the Azure Migrate service:
- Current version: Use this version to create Azure Migrate projects, discover on-premises machines, and orchestrate assessments and migrations. Learn more about what's new in this version.
- Previous version: If you used the previous version of Azure Migrate (only assessment of on-premises VMware VMs was supported), you should now use the current version. You can no longer create Azure Migrate projects using the previous version, and we recommend that you don't perform new discoveries. To access existing projects, in the Azure portal, search for and select Azure Migrate. On the Azure Migrate dashboard, there's a notification and a link to access old Azure Migrate projects.
In addition to native Azure tools, Azure Migrate integrates with a number of ISV offerings.
|Corent Technology||Assess and migrate servers|
|Device 42||Assess servers|
|UnifyCloud||Assess servers and databases|
Azure tool integration
The table summarizes other tools that are integrated in Azure Migrate.
|Azure Migrate: Server Assessment||Assess servers|
|Azure Migrate: Server Migration||Migrate servers|
|Database Migration Assistant (DMA)||Assess databases|
|Database Migration Service (DMS)||Migrate databases|
|Web App Migration Assistant||Assess and migrate web apps|
Selecting a tool
Identify the tool you need, and add it to an Azure Migrate project.
- If you’re adding an ISV tool or Movere:
- Get started by obtaining a license, or signing up for a free trial, in accordance with the tool policy. Licensing for tools is in accordance with the ISV or tool licensing model.
- In each tool, there's an option to connect to Azure Migrate. Follow the tool instructions and documentation, to connect the tool with Azure Migrate.
- You centrally track your migration journey from within the Azure Migrate project, across Azure and other tools.
Azure Migrate Server Assessment tool
Azure Migrate: Server Assessment tool discovers and assesses on-premises VMware VMs, Hyper-V VMs,and physical servers, for migration to Azure. It helps you identify the following:
- Azure readiness: Assess whether on-premises machines are ready for migration to Azure.
- Azure sizing: The estimated size of Azure VMs after migration.
- Azure cost estimation: Estimated costs for running on-premises servers in Azure.
- Dependency visualization: Cross-server dependencies (if dependency visualization is enabled), and optimum ways to move dependent servers to Azure.
Server Assessment uses a lightweight appliance that you deploy on-premises, and register with Server Assessment.
- The appliance discovers on-premises machines.
- It connects to Server Assessment, and continually sends machines metadata and performance data to Azure Migrate.
- Appliance discovery is agentless. Nothing needs to be installed on discovered machines.
- After discovery, you gather discovered machines into groups. You typically gather together machines that you'd like to migrate together.
- You create an assessment for a group. You then analyze the assessment, to figure out your migration strategy.
Azure Migrate Server Migration tool
Azure Migrate: Server Migration tool helps you to migrate on-premises VMware VMs, Hyper-V VMs, physical servers, other virtualized machines, and public cloud VMs to Azure. You can migrate machines after assessing them, or without an assessment.
Database Migration Assistant
Azure Migrate integrates with Microsoft Data Migration Assistant (DMA) to assess on-premises SQL Server databases for migration to Azure SQL DB, Azure SQL Managed Instance, or Azure VMs running SQL Server. DMA provides information about potential blocking issues for migration. It identifies unsupported features, as well as new features that you can benefit from after migration, and helps you to identify the right path for database migration. Learn more.
Database Migration Service
Azure Migrate integrates with the Azure Database Migration Service (DMS), to migrate on-premises databases to Azure. Use DMS to migrate on-premises databases to Azure VMs running SQL, Azure SQL DB, and Azure SQL Managed Instances. Learn more.
Movere is a SaaS platform that increases business intelligence by accurately presenting entire IT environments within a single day. As organizations grow, change, and digitally optimize, the solution provides enterprises with the confidence they need to have visibility and control of their environments regardless of platform, application or geography. Movere was acquired by Microsoft and is no longer sold as a standalone offer. Movere is available through the Microsoft Solution Assessment and Cloud Economics Programs. Learn more about Movere. If you have questions, submit them to: email@example.com or contact your Microsoft representative.
We encourage you to also look at Azure Migrate, our built-in migration service. Azure Migrate provides a central hub to simplify your migration to the cloud. The hub features comprehensive support for different workloads, including physical and virtual servers, databases, and applications. End-to-end visibility makes it easy to track progress throughout discovery, assessment, and migration. With both Azure and partner ISV tools built in, Azure Migrate also has an extensive range of features, including virtual and physical server discovery, performance-based right sizing, cost planning, import-based assessments, and agentless application dependency analysis. If you’re looking for expert help to get started, Microsoft has skilled Azure Expert Managed Service Provider to guide you along the journey. Check out the Azure Migrate website.
Web App Migration Assistant
Azure Migrate integrates with the Azure App Service Migration Assistant. From the Azure Migrate hub, you can assess and migrate on-premises web apps to Azure, using the Assistant, as follows:
- Assess web apps online: Use Azure App Service Migration Assistant to assess on-premises websites for migration to Azure App Service.
- Migrate web apps: Migrate .NET and PHP web apps to Azure, using Azure App Service Migration Assistant.
Learn more about the Assistant.
Offline data migration
You can use the Azure Data Box products to move large amounts of data offline to Azure. Learn more
Laster inn tilbakemelding ...