Overview of Dynamics 365 App for Outlook
Use Dynamics 365 App for Outlook to tap the power of Dynamics 365 apps while you’re using Outlook on the desktop, web, or phone. When Dynamics 365 App for Outlook is installed, depending on which version of the app you have installed, you'll see a Dynamics 365 apps pane or window next to a selected Outlook email message, or when you're composing an email message or setting up a meeting or appointment.
The latest release of Dynamics 365 App for Outlook works with Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement (on-premises), version 9.x and Common Data Service, which implies that it also works with model-driven apps such as Dynamics 365 Sales and Dynamics 365 Customer Service.
For more information on how to deploy and customize the app and how to use it, see:
What Dynamics 365 App for Outlook offers
With Dynamics 365 App for Outlook, you can:
View information about Dynamics 365 contacts and leads while you’re working in Outlook. You can view this info in the context of an email message, meeting, or appointment. For example, view phone numbers, company name, last and next activities, and recent records from Dynamics 365.
Link email messages, meetings, and appointments to a Dynamics 365 record with a single click. For example, link an email message to a specific account, opportunity, or case. Dynamics 365 App for Outlook also supports custom entities.
Open Dynamics 365 records directly to find or enter more detailed information.
Add a phone call, task, or appointment activity to Dynamics 365.
Create a new Dynamics 365 record for any entity (record type).
Add email templates, knowledge articles, and sales literature when you create an email message or set up a meeting.
Track Outlook contacts in Dynamics 365.
What's new in Dynamics 365 App for Outlook
Dynamics 365 apps that work with Dynamics 365 App for Outlook have been significantly redesigned and includes enhancements such as:
- Unified Interface. Dynamics 365 App for Outlook is built on the Unified Interface framework, which uses responsive web design principles to provide an optimal viewing and interaction experience for any screen size, device, or orientation. Much of Dynamics 365 functionality is now included.
- Global search or multi-entity search. Use global search to search for a keyword in multiple entities at the same time. Global search uses the quick find view for the various entities to search for records.
- Forms. View and edit forms the same as what you see in the mobile experience.
- Dashboards. View and edit dashboards the same as what you see in the mobile experience.
- Insights. Use Relationship assistant to get insights into your customers.
For more information on what's new, see What's new with Dynamics 365 App for Outlook.
Known issues and FAQs
Users who are assigned a custom security role may not be able to access Dynamics 365 App for Outlook. We are working on a fix for this issue. In the meantime, for more information, see:
- Support article
- Configure Outlook or Exchange folder-level tracking
- Set an option to automatically track incoming Outlook email in Dynamics 365 for Outlook
Delegated users cannot track emails using Dynamics 365 App for Outlook. Try using folder-level tracking or automatic tracking for delegated users.
For other known issues with this version of Dynamics 365 App for Outlook, see the Dynamics 365 apps Readme.
For more information on FAQ's, see Frequently Asked Questions about Dynamics 365 App for Outlook.