Azure reserved VM instances (RI) + server subscriptions for Azure
- Partner Center
What are Azure Reservations?
Azure Reservations help you save money by pre-paying for one-year or three-years of virtual machine, SQL Database compute capacity, Azure Cosmos DB throughput, or other Azure resources. Pre-paying allows you to get a discount on the resources you use. Reservations can significantly reduce your virtual machine, SQL database compute, Azure Cosmos DB, and other resource costs up to 72% compared to pay-as-you-go prices. Reservations provide a billing discount and don't affect the runtime state of your resources.For more information see What are Azure Reservations?
Why should customers buy a reservation?
If customers have virtual machines, Azure Cosmos DB or SQL databases that run for long periods of time, purchasing a reservation gives them the most cost-effective option. For example, if a customer continuously runs four instances of a service without a reservation, they are charged at pay-as-you-go rates. If they purchase a reservation for those resources, they immediately get the reservation discount. The resources are no longer charged at the pay-as-you-go rates.
Compelling New Azure offer in CSP
By bringing Azure Reservations and Server Subscriptions to its CSP program, Microsoft is better enabling its partners to address fast-growing customer demand for more cost-effective solutions to support highly predictable, persistent cloud workloads. The CSP program enables partners to acquire, provision and manage Azure Reservations and Server Subscriptions on behalf of commercial customers via Microsoft Partner Center and Azure Portal. Azure Reservations give customers the flexibility of virtualization for a wide range of computing solutions, including development and testing, running applications and extending the data center.
With Azure Reserved VM Instances for example, commercial customers can now save up to 72% versus pay-as-you-go Azure VM pricing simply by purchasing – or “reserving” – the virtual machine for a 1- or 3-year period. Windows Server customers with Azure Hybrid Benefit, included with Software Assurance, will be able to save up to 80% versus pay-as-you-go pricing.
With an unmatched combination of compelling pricing and unmatched deployment flexibility, customers will see the best overall value when they choose Azure Reservations:
- Azure Reserved VM Instances
- SQL DB Reservations
- SQL Managed Instance
- Azure Cosmos DB
- Windows Server
- Remote Desktop Services (RDS) CALs
- SQL Server
Linux ISV annual subscriptions
- SUSE Linux
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
To understand how you can position Azure Reservations with your customers and get up and running operationally as quickly as possible we recommend the following approach for reviewing the readiness materials:
Review the Overview Presentations and associated webinars for the customer value proposition and positioning
Review and understand the Modern Commerce Operating Guide
Review the Azure RI and Server Subscriptions FAQ
Understand updates for Azure Reservations and Server Subscriptions in the Partner Center API (API/SDK)
Below is a comprehensive list of resources to help you onboard quickly to transacting Azure Reservations through Partner Center:
- Azure Reservations and Server Subscriptions with Azure Hybrid Benefit Overview
- Sales Sheet
- Partner FAQ for Azure Reservations
- Partner FAQ for Azure Reservations and SQL DB
- Remote Desktop Services (RDS) CALs (announcement)
- Azure Reserved VM Instances (Azure Portal)
- Server Subscriptions
- SQL DB in Azure Overview
- SQL DB Reservations (Azure Portal)
- Azure Cosmos DB (Azure Portal)
- SQL Managed Instance (Azure Portal)
- SUSE and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (Azure Portal)
- Red Hat Linux on Azure
- SUSE Linux on Azure
- Linux on Azure
- Azure Pricing Overview
- Azure Pricing Calculator
- CSP Price lists: The Microsoft Azure Reserved Instances and Software Subscriptions price lists are both located on the Partner Center Pricing & Offers page.
- November 2018 Commercial Licensing Readiness Webinars covering CSP Online Services, CSP Azure and a general licensing update (including Azure)
- August SQL DB Reserved Capacity & Instance Size Flexibility - Licensing Webinar
- July 2018 Server Subscriptions in CSP Webinar
- May 2018 Azure Reservations Overview Webinar
- Azure Licensing Module on Partner University
- Modern Commerce Operations Guide (updated): A comprehensive guide covering key policy and operational aspects such as agreements, ordering through Partner Center, invoice, price list details, incentives, reconciliation file, API/SDK, Sandbox, and Azure Partner Shared Services.
- Modern Offers Country Availability and Customer Currency Matrix
- Sell Microsoft Azure Reserved Instances
- Buy Microsoft Azure reservations on behalf of your customers
- Manage Azure reservations on behalf of your customers
- Billing for Azure reservations
- VM sizing for maximum reservation usage
- Partner Center API (API/SDK)
- Remote Desktop Services
Azure Hybrid Benefit
The Azure Hybrid Benefit helps you get more value from your Windows Server licenses and save up to *47 percent on virtual machines. You can use the benefit with Windows Server Datacenter and Standard edition licenses covered with Software Assurance. Depending on the edition, you can convert or re-use your licenses to run Windows Server virtual machines in Azure and pay a lower base compute rate (Linux virtual machine rates).
See also Azure Hybrid Benefit FAQ
*Actual savings may vary based on region, instance type, or usage.