Geo to geo migrations
We continue to open new datacenter regions for business services, and to add datacenters to existing regions.
The Geo Migration feature will allow customers to move their environments in a single tenant from one region to another. There are no user-interface changes or version changes as part of this move. In the case of an environment residing in an Microsoft 365 environment in a single tenant, moving the Microsoft Dataverse environment doesn't move the Microsoft 365 environment; they are separate services. Your environment will still appear in your tenant alongside the Microsoft 365 environment.
- Support for geo migration is limited and generally not available.
- To request a regional migration, please contact your account manager or see Technical Support.
- After making a request, expect at least 10 days for the migration to be completed.
- Geo migrations are not supported into or out of US GCC, US GCC High, or China.
- The Dynamics 365 Marketing app does not support geo migration, due to component dependencies. For more information, see Manage your Dynamics 365 Marketing instances.
- Geo migration is not supported for Microsoft Dataverse for Teams environments.
Impact of migrating
Moving an environment to a different region changes your tenant to be multiregional - enabling regional features in the Dynamics 365 admin center.
The other significant change is to your organization URL. Each of the regional datacenters has a unique identifier in the URL. When your organization is moved from one regional datacenter to another this identifier will change. For example:
- South America (LATAM/SAM) = .crm2.dynamics.com
- Canada (CAN) = .crm3.dynamics.com
- Europe, Middle East, Africa (EMEA) = .crm4.dynamics.com
- Asia Pacific (APAC) = *.crm5.dynamics.com
- Australia (OCE) = *.crm6.dynamics.com
- Germany (GER) = *.crm16.dynamics.com
- Japan (JPN) = *.crm7.dynamics.com
- India (IND) = *.crm8.dynamics.com
- United Kingdom (UK) = *.crm11.dynamics.com
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) = *.crm15.dynamics.com
You'll need to update any direct references to your organization URL.
Organization URLs must be unique. If your organization name has already been reserved in the destination datacenter, it won't be available. In the unlikely event this happens, we will work with you to decide how to proceed.
The following topics have information that could be helpful to understand the move process:
- New datacenter regions
- About Microsoft Cloud Australia
- About Microsoft Cloud Canada
- About the Microsoft Cloud Germany datacenter
- About Microsoft Cloud Japan
- About Microsoft Cloud India
How the move works
You'll be provided with a list of prerequisites and post-requisites for your migration. The following table describes what Microsoft does before, during, and after your move.
|Before the move||During the move||After the move|
|What Microsoft does||Notification
Your support representative or Account Manager will work with you to request a move and scheduling.
Cut-over times for each service depend on the number of users and the amount of data. This step can take 1 to 6 hours for smaller organizations, but may take up to 48 hours for large organizations. The cut-over is done during the evening or over a weekend.
There is a step that will require your involvement, which is to re-enter the encryption key. This can happen at a time that suits you but the migration process will be on hold until you complete this action.
|Notification and support
You will be alerted by email or telephone when your environment is migrated to the new datacenter.
After your geo has migrated you can perform the post requisite steps - primarily changing your new URLs with any associated plugins or services.
We will adhere to the terms of the Microsoft Online Services Service Level Agreement for all moves.