Add subtitles or caption to your videos
You can add subtitles or captions to any Microsoft Stream video during upload or after. You can also choose to configure your video so Microsoft Stream generates captions automatically using Automatic Speech Recognition technology. For more information, see this topic.
Captions are indexed and used by Microsoft Stream to power deep search, helping viewers watch exactly what they need. For informaion about how to use deep search, see this document.
The following considerations apply:
- You cannot upload a caption file if you have selected to auto-generate captions.
- You cannot auto-generate captions if you have already uploaded a caption file.
Upload a subtitle or caption file to an existing video
- In the Microsoft Stream portal, find the video that you want to add subtitles or captions to.
- Click on the ellipsis button and select Edit
On the video playback page, this will be under the video title
When browsing multiple videos, this will be on the right side of the video.
- In the Options window, you can upload Subtitles and Captions by selecting a language and uploading your file.
View subtitles or captions
Subtitles and captions can be viewed with the video player on the playback page.
Download subtitles or captions
If you have uploaded a subtitle or caption file, or autogenerated a caption file, you can download the WebVTT file from the Edit Video page.
In the case of caption errors, you can download the caption file and edit it in a text editor of choice before uploading it back to Stream, or use the transcript window.