Next-generation protection in Windows
Microsoft Defender Antivirus: Your next-generation protection
Microsoft Defender Antivirus is the next-generation protection component of Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. This protection brings together machine learning, big-data analysis, in-depth threat resistance research, and the Microsoft cloud infrastructure to protect devices in your enterprise organization. Your next-generation protection services include the following capabilities:
- Behavior-based, heuristic, and real-time antivirus protection, which includes always-on scanning using file and process behavior monitoring and other heuristics (also known as real-time protection). It also includes detecting and blocking apps that are deemed unsafe, but might not be detected as malware.
- Cloud-delivered protection, which includes near-instant detection and blocking of new and emerging threats.
- Dedicated protection and product updates, which includes updates related to keeping Microsoft Defender Antivirus up to date.
Try a demo!
Visit the Microsoft Defender for Endpoint demo website to confirm the following protection features are working and explore them using demo scenarios:
- Cloud-delivered protection
- Block at first sight (BAFS) protection
- Potentially unwanted applications (PUA) protection
Minimum system requirements
Microsoft Defender Antivirus has the same hardware requirements as of Windows 10. For more information, see the following resources:
Configure next-generation protection services
For information on how to configure next-generation protection services, see Configure Microsoft Defender Antivirus features.
Configuration and management is largely the same in Windows Server 2016 and Windows Server 2019, while running Microsoft Defender Antivirus; however, there are some differences. To learn more, see Microsoft Defender Antivirus on Windows Server 2016 and 2019.