SqlServerWriter missing when VSSadmin list writers command is run
In this blog, I will discuss about what to do when :
1. we run Vssadmin list writers command and sqlserverwriter is missing and
2. Also, there is no error message in Application event logs and
3. Also, SQLserver VSS writer service is running
Here are the steps you need to follow to resolve such issues.
1. First of all we need to check if there are any spaces in the databases names. please run the query :
select '#' + name +'#' from sys.databases
if you notice any space in database names e.g. #test # , we need to make sure we remove the space from the database name.
Please follow this article to rename the database name : - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345378.aspx
once you remove the space in the database name, then issue vssadmin list writers command and check if the SQLwriter is there or not
2. If still SQLwriter is not there then:
please check the service logon which is mostly Nt authority/system or any user which you have mentioned as service logon, is added in SQL server as sysadmin privileges or not. If it's not there then please make it as syadmin. Run the VSSadmin list writers command.
Please feel free to post a question if the issue still persists.