Open URL in POS
This topic applies to Dynamics 365 for Retail and Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations.
This topic describes how you can configure a button in Retail point of sale (POS) to open a URL. This feature does not require a code customization, and can be configured by someone in a non-developer role. This feature is available as part of the Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations version 8.1.3 release (build 18.104.22.16814) and later.
This feature allows configuration of a button in POS, using the button grid designer to open a URL. Currently, this is supported in the following configurations:
- Open in new window.
- Open within POS.
- Open a native app.
Open in new window
This configuration defines whether to open the URL in a new window or within the app. When configured to open a web URL within the app, the side navigation panel and top bar of POS are visible and available for user interaction. When configured to open in a new window, the URL will open in a new app window on Modern POS for Windows, and in a new browser tab in all other POS clients. To enable this, you must configure the URL with the Open in new window option selected.
Open within POS
Opening a web URL within POS is currently only supported for Modern POS on Windows. On other clients, this capability is under development and planned for release in future updates. To enable this, you must configure the URL with the Open in new window option not selected.
Open a native app
This feature also allows you to specify non-web URLs to open a native app. For example, you can specify URL protocols such as MailTo, SIP, IM, or MSTEAMS, which can then be handled by respective native apps on the host device. To enable this, you must configure the URL with the Open in new window option selected.
- For Windows computers, see Export or Import Default Application Associations to set the default protocol associations if you are setting up your computer using Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM).
- If you are using MDM, such as Intune to manage your Windows computers, see Policy CSP - ApplicationDefaults.
- If you are a developer building a custom website, see Launch the default app for a URI.
Open a native app seamlessly
Windows, iOS, and Android also allow opening of apps more seamlessly, based on app protocol association. If your app is not already configured to handle opening from a web browser, you may need a developer to configure this.
- For Windows, see Enable apps for websites using app URI handlers.
- For iOS, see Universal Links for Developers.
- For Android, see Handling Android App Links.
|Client||Open in new window||Open native app||Open within POS||Details|
|Modern POS on Windows||✓*||✓||✓||* Opens in new Modern POS window|
|Cloud POS||✓*||✓||X||* Opens in new browser tab|
|Modern POS on iOS||✓*||✓||X||* Opens in new browser tab|
|Modern POS on Android||✓*||✓||X||* Opens in new browser tab|
Before you begin
Before you begin, review how to configure Screen layouts for the point of sale (POS).
Open URL in POS
To configure a URL to be opened in POS, perform the following steps.
- In head office, go to Retail > Channel Setup > POS Setup > POS > Screen Layouts.
- Select Button Grids > Designer.
- Create a new button.
- Select Button properties.
- Select Open URL as the action.
- Enter the URL that you want to use.
- Configure whether to open the URL in a new window.
We'd love to hear your thoughts. Choose the type you'd like to provide:
Our feedback system is built on GitHub Issues. Read more on our blog.