Microsoft Identity Manager 2016
Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM) 2016 builds on the identity and access management capabilities of FIM 2010 R2. Like its predecessor, MIM helps you manage the users, credentials, policies, and access within your organization. Additionally, MIM 2016 adds a hybrid experience, privileged access management capabilities, and support for new platforms.
In addition to existing identity management functionality included in FIM. MIM 2016 provides new features and enhancements such as:
- Privileged Identity Management
- New functionality in certificate management
- Self-service scenarios now include Account Unlock and Azure MFA (multifactor authentication) gate for Password Reset.
Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 works alongside Azure AD to give you control over your full environment. Hybrid reporting in Azure AD presents your cloud and on-premises data in one place. Also, the Self Service Password Reset portal supports Azure multi-factor authentication (MFA).
Privileged Identity Management
Privileged Identity Management controls and manages administrative access by providing temporary, task-based access to sensitive resources. This means you can give users only as much permission as necessary, which lowers the chances of a cyber attacker gaining full administrative access. In addition, Privileged Identity Management extracts and isolates administrative accounts from existing Active Directory forests.
MIM supports an on-premises Privileged Identity Management solution for managing Active Directory. To get started, Use Privileged Access Management.
- Microsoft Identity Manager is still closely related to its predecessor, Forefront Identity Manager. If you still use FIM, or want to refer to additional documentation, take a look at the FIM 2010 R2 Documentation Roadmap.
- Topology considerations for deploying MIM This article introduces multiple deployment topologies that you may consider implementing.
- Capacity planning guide You can use this guide, along with test environments, to understand the appropriate scope for your deployment.