Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 news and updates
Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM) 2016 builds on the identity and access management capabilities of Forefront Identity Manager. Like its predecessor, MIM helps you manage the users, credentials, policies, and access within your organization. Additionally, MIM 2016 adds a hybrid experience, privileged access management capabilities, and support for new platforms.
With MIM, an organization can simplify identity lifecycle management with automated workflows, business rules and easy integration with heterogeneous platforms across the datacenter. MIM enables the organization to have the right users and access rights for Active Directory for on-premises apps, and Azure AD Connect can then make available in Azure AD for Office 365 and cloud-hosted apps. Common MIM scenarios include:
- Automatic identity and group provisioning based on business policy and workflow-driven provisioning
- Integration of the contents of directories with HR systems and other sources of authority
- Synchronizing identities between directories, databases, and on-premises applications through common APIs and protocols, Microsoft-delivered connectors, and partner-delivered connectors
The current release under mainstream support is MIM 2016 Service Pack 1 (SP1). This release in August 2017 included updates to MIM Portal, PAM scenario and added support for new platforms. Customers running FIM or MIM versions prior to MIM 2016 SP1 should upgrade to MIM 2016 SP1 or a later hotfix. Read more about Upgrading to MIM 2016 SP1.
Updates since MIM 2016 SP1
Microsoft regularly delivers updates to MIM, including enhancements for customer requests and bug fixes, on an ongoing release cycle.
Major new and updated scenarios
- Azure AD B2B collaboration with MIM Graph connector and Azure Application proxy is GA, last updated April 2018
- Hybrid MIM reporting is GA, last updated February 2018
- MIM deprecated feature list revised, last updated February 2018
Recent software releases
- MIM Connector releases, last updated March 2018
- MIM Sync, Service, Portal, CM, Add-ins and client releases last updated November 2017
- MIM BHOLD modules releases last updated September 2017
Learn more on scenarios added in MIM 2016 and earlier at Microsoft Identity manager 2016.
Read more documentation on deploying MIM and the latest version at the MIM Documentation Roadmap.