Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 news and updates
Microsoft Identity Manager (MIM) 2016 builds on the identity and access management capabilities of Forefront Identity Manager. Like its predecessor, MIM helps you manage the users, credentials, policies, and access within your organization. Additionally, MIM 2016 adds a hybrid experience, privileged access management capabilities, and support for new platforms.
With MIM, an organization can simplify identity lifecycle management with automated workflows, business rules and easy integration with heterogeneous platforms across the datacenter. MIM enables the organization to have the right users and access rights for Active Directory for on-premises apps, and Azure AD Connect can then make available in Azure AD for Office 365 and cloud-hosted apps. Common MIM scenarios include:
- Automatic identity and group provisioning based on business policy and workflow-driven provisioning
- Integration of the contents of directories with HR systems and other sources of authority
- Synchronizing identities between directories, databases, and on-premises applications through common APIs and protocols, Microsoft-delivered connectors, and partner-delivered connectors
The current releases under mainstream support are MIM 2016 Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2 (SP2). Customers running FIM or MIM versions prior to MIM 2016 SP1 should upgrade to MIM 2016 SP2 or a later hotfix.
Microsoft regularly delivers updates to MIM, including enhancements for customer requests and bug fixes, on an ongoing release cycle.
Updates in MIM 2016 SP2
MIM 2016 Service Pack 2 is a rollup of existing hotfixes since MIM 2016 SP1. It also introduces the option to configure use of Group Managed Service Accounts for MIM Synchronization Service and MIM Service, and enables MIM to be deployed with other updated platform software. More details could be found in MIM 2016 Version Release History
Major new and updated scenarios
- Azure AD B2B collaboration with MIM Graph connector and Azure Application proxy is GA, last updated July 2019
- Hybrid MIM reporting is GA, last updated April 2019
- MIM deprecated feature list revised, last updated February 2018
Recent software releases
- MIM Connector releases, last updated July 2019
- MIM Sync, Service, Portal, CM, Add-ins and client releases last updated October 2019
- MIM BHOLD modules releases last updated October 2018
Learn more on scenarios added in MIM 2016 and earlier at Microsoft Identity manager 2016.
Read more documentation on deploying MIM and the latest version at the MIM Documentation Roadmap.