Sometimes a single number is the most important thing you want to track in your Power BI dashboard or report, such as total sales, market share year over year, or total opportunities. This type of visualization is called a Card. As with almost all of the native Power BI visualizations, Cards can be created using the report editor or Q&A.
Create a card using the report editor
These instructions use the Retail Analysis Sample. To follow along, download the sample for Power BI service (app.powerbi.com) or Power BI Desktop.
Power BI creates a column chart with the one number.
In the Visualizations pane, select the Card icon.
Hover over the card and select the pin icon to add the visualization to the dashboard.
Pin the tile to an existing dashboard or to a new dashboard.
- Existing dashboard: select the name of the dashboard from the dropdown.
- New dashboard: type the name of the new dashboard.
A Success message (near the top right corner) lets you know the visualization was added, as a tile, to your dashboard.
- Select Go to dashboard. There, you can edit and move the pinned visualization.
Create a card from the Q&A question box
The Q&A question box is the easiest way to make a Card. The Q&A question box is available in Power BI service (app.powerbi.com) from a dashboard or report. The steps below describe creating a Card from a Power BI service dashboard. If you'd like to create a card using Q&A in Power BI Desktop, follow these instructions for the Q&A preview for Desktop reports.
At the top of your dashboard, start typing what you want to know about your data in the question box.
TIP: From a Power BI service report, in Editing view, select Ask a question from the top menubar. From a Power BI Desktop report, find some open space in a report and double-click to open a question box.
For example, type "number of opportunities" in the question box.
The question box helps you with suggestions and restatements, and finally displays the total number.
Select the pin icon in the upper-right corner to add the card to a dashboard.
Pin the card, as a tile, to an existing dashboard or to a new dashboard.
- Existing dashboard: select the name of the dashboard from the dropdown. Your choices will be limited to only those dashboards withing the current workspace.
- New dashboard: type the name of the new dashboard and it will be added to your current workspace.
A Success message (near the upper right corner) lets you know the visualization was added, as a tile, to your dashboard.
Select Go to dashboard to see the new tile. There, you can rename, resize, add a hyperlink, and reposition the tile, and more on your dashboard.
Considerations and troubleshooting
- If you do not see a question box at all, contact your system or tenant administrator.
- If you are using Desktop and double-clicking empty space in a report doesn't open Q&A, you may need to enable it. Select File > Options and Settings > Options > Preview features > Q&A and restart Desktop.
More questions? Try the Power BI Community