If you'd like to see us expand this article with more information, such as potential use cases, alternative services, implementation considerations, or pricing guidance, let us know with GitHub Feedback!
Securely store data and provide high-value analytics over aggregated data, using in-built security and performance.
Potential use cases
This architecture is a simple example of a 3-tier application design on Azure with Power BI for data analytics. A use of case for a finance management application is used to add business context, but this design is applicable for many use cases.
Download an SVG of this architecture.
The architecture shows the flow of data in a common tier-3 application design:
- The presentation tier-1 is represented by the web app (browser) and/or mobile app used by clients.
- Azure App Service hosts backend APIs and business logic that comprise tier-2.
- Azure Database for PostgreSQL offers a fully managed OSS database for the data layer tier-3.
- Power BI supports native connectivity with PostgreSQL to ingest data for analytics.
- Azure App Service - Azure App Service enables you to build and host web apps, mobile back ends, and RESTful APIs in the programming language of your choice without managing infrastructure.
- Azure Database for PostgreSQL - Azure Database for PostgreSQL is a relational database service powered by the PostgreSQL community edition.
- Power BI - Power BI is a collection of software services, apps, and connectors that work together to turn your unrelated sources of data into coherent, visually immersive, and interactive insights.
Learn more about the component technologies:
- Connect an existing Azure App Service to Azure Database for MySQL server
- Tutorial: Design an Azure Database for PostgreSQL - Single Server using the Azure portal
- Power BI PostgreSQL Database Connector
Explore related architectures: