Azure Serial Console
The Serial Console in the Azure portal provides access to a text-based console for virtual machines (VMs) and virtual machine scale set instances running either Linux or Windows. This serial connection connects to the ttyS0 or COM1 serial port of the VM or virtual machine scale set instance, providing access independent of the network or operating system state. The serial console can only be accessed by using the Azure portal and is allowed only for those users who have an access role of Contributor or higher to the VM or virtual machine scale set.
Serial Console works in the same manner for VMs and virtual machine scale set instances. In this doc, all mentions to VMs will implicitly include virtual machine scale set instances unless otherwise stated.
The Serial Console is generally available in global Azure regions. It is not yet available in Azure government or Azure China clouds.
Prerequisites to access the Azure Serial Console
To access the Serial Console on your VM or virtual machine scale set instance, you will need the following:
- Boot diagnostics must be enabled for the VM
- A user account that uses password authentication must exist within the VM. You can create a password-based user with the reset password function of the VM access extension. Select Reset password from the Support + troubleshooting section.
- The Azure account accessing Serial Console must have Virtual Machine Contributor role for both the VM and the boot diagnostics storage account
- Classic deployments aren't supported. Your VM or virtual machine scale set instance must use the Azure Resource Manager deployment model.
Get started with the Serial Console
The Serial Console for VMs and virtual machine scale set is accessible only through the Azure portal:
Serial Console for Virtual Machines
Serial Console for VMs is as straightforward as clicking on Serial console within the Support + troubleshooting section in the Azure portal.
Open the Azure portal.
Navigate to All resources and select a Virtual Machine. The overview page for the VM opens.
Scroll down to the Support + troubleshooting section and select Serial console. A new pane with the serial console opens and starts the connection.
Serial Console for Virtual Machine Scale Sets
Serial Console is available for virtual machine scale sets, accessible on each instance within the scale set. You will have to navigate to the individual instance of a virtual machine scale set before seeing the Serial console button. If your virtual machine scale set does not have boot diagnostics enabled, ensure you update your virtual machine scale set model to enable boot diagnostics, and then upgrade all instances to the new model in order to access serial console.
Open the Azure portal.
Navigate to All resources and select a Virtual Machine Scale Set. The overview page for the virtual machine scale set opens.
Navigate to Instances
Select a virtual machine scale set instance
From the Support + troubleshooting section, select Serial console. A new pane with the serial console opens and starts the connection.
Advanced uses for Serial Console
Aside from console access to your VM, you can also use the Azure Serial Console for the following:
- Sending a system request command to your VM
- Sending a non-maskable interrupt to your VM
- Gracefully rebooting or forcefully power-cycling your VM
Additional Serial Console documentation is available in the sidebar.