Analytics is an extension of Application Insights. Application Insights provides service-level and instrumentation data like traffic, latency, and integrations. Analytics provides conversation-level reporting on user, message, and channel data.
View analytics for a bot
To access Analytics, open the bot in the developer portal and click Analytics.
Too much data? Enable and configure sampling to reduce telemetry traffic and storage while maintaining statistically correct analysis.
Choose which channels appear in the graphs below. Note that if a bot is not enabled on a channel, there will be no data from that channel.
- Check the check box to include a channel in the chart.
- Clear the check box to remove a channel from the chart.
Specify time period
Analysis is available for the past 90 days only. Data collection began when Application Insights was enabled.
Click the drop-down menu and then click the amount of time the graphs should display. Note that changing the overall time frame will cause the time increment (X-axis) on the graphs to change accordingly.
The total number of active users and messages sent and received during the specified time frame.
-- indicate no activity.
Retention tracks how many users who sent one message came back later and sent another one. The chart is a rolling 10-day window; the results are not affected by changing the time frame.
Note that the most recent possible date is two days ago; a user sent messages the day before yesterday and then returned yesterday.
The Users graph tracks how many users accessed the bot using each channel during the specified time frame.
- The percentage chart shows what percentage of users used each channel.
- The line graph indicates how many users were accessing the bot at a certain time.
- The legend for the line graph indicates which color represents which channel and the includes the total number of users during the specified time period.
The Message graph tracks how many messages were sent and received using which channel during the specified time frame.
- The percentage chart shows what percentage of messages were communicated over each channel.
- The line graph indicates how many messages were sent and received over the specified time frame.
- The legend for the line graph indicates which line color represents each channel and the total number of messages sent and received on that channel during the specified time period.
Analytics are not available until Application Insights has been enabled and configured. Application Insights will begin collecting data as soon as it is enabled. For example, if Application Insights was enabled a week ago for a six-month-old bot, it will have collected one week of data.
- Create an Application Insights resource.
- Open the bot in the dashboard. Click Settings and scroll down to the Analytics section.
- Enter the information to connect the bot to Application Insights. All fields are required.
AppInsights Instrumentation Key
To find this value, open Application Insights and navigate to Configure > Properties.
AppInsights API key
Provide an Azure App Insights API key. Learn how to generate a new API key. Only Read permission is required.
AppInsights Application ID
To find this value, open Application Insights and navigate to Configure > API Access.
For more information on how to locate these values, see Application Insights keys.