JSON serialization and deserialization (marshalling and unmarshalling) in .NET - overview
The library design emphasizes high performance and low memory allocation over an extensive feature set. Built-in UTF-8 support optimizes the process of reading and writing JSON text encoded as UTF-8, which is the most prevalent encoding for data on the web and files on disk.
The library also provides classes for working with an in-memory document object model (DOM). This feature enables random read-only access of the elements in a JSON file or string.
How to get the library
- The library is built-in as part of the .NET Core 3.0 shared framework.
- For other target frameworks, install the System.Text.Json NuGet package. The package supports:
- .NET Standard 2.0 and later versions
- .NET Framework 4.7.2 and later versions
- .NET Core 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2