The Business Central Administration Center
The Business Central administration center provides a portal for administrators to perform administrative tasks for a Business Central tenant. Here, administrators can view and work with production and sandbox environments for the tenant, set up upgrade notifications, and view telemetry for events on the tenant.
Accessing the administration center
The following users are authorized to access the Business Central administration center:
- Internal tenant administrators
- Delegated administrators, typically the partner associated with the tenant
As a partner, you can access the center from the Partner Dashboard in the Microsoft Partner Center:
- Log into the Partner Dashboard.
- Select the Customers link in the navigation pane.
- Select the customer tenant that you want to perform administrative tasks for.
- Select Service Management.
- Under the Administer Services heading, select Dynamics 365 Business Central.
The administration center can also be accessed by navigating directly to the URL of a tenant's instance. This is done with the following URL, if you replace [TENANT_ID] with the tenant ID of the customer tenant.
The Environments tab of the center allows you to view information about the Business Central production and sandbox environments for the tenant, set an upgrade window for each environment, and work with the sandbox environment for the tenant.
Set the upgrade window
The upgrade window for an environment defines a window of time during the day in which the environment is allowed to be upgraded. When major and minor updates are rolled out to Business Central tenants, the update will only be applied to an environment within the time frame defined for the upgrade window, helping ensure that updates are applied outside of the customer's business hours.
The upgrade window must be a minimum of six hours.
To set the upgrade window for an environment:
- On the Environments tab of the Business Central administration center, choose the relevant environment.
- Click Upgrade settings on the action ribbon.
- In the Upgrade settings pane, specify the start time and end time for the upgrade window for this environment.
- Click Save.
Create a sandbox environment
The Business Central administration center provides an easy method for managing the sandbox environment for the tenant. A sandbox environment is a non-production instance of Business Central. Isolated from production, a sandbox environment is the place to safely explore, learn, demo, develop, and test the service without the risk of affecting the data and settings of your production environment.
To create a sandbox environment:
- On the Environments tab of the Business Central administration center, choose the production environment.
- Click Create Sandbox on the action ribbon.
- In the Create Sandbox pane, specify if you want the sandbox environment to contain a copy of the data from the production environment.
If the environment is not created with production data, it will have default demo data.
- Click Create.
The sandbox environment will not be accessible until the State shows Active.
A sandbox environment can also be created from within a page within the production environment of the Business Central application. For more information, see How to: Create a Sandbox Environment.
To delete a sandbox environment, choose the environment on the Environments tab of the Business Central administration center, and then click Delete Sandbox on the action ribbon.
Precautions for sandbox with production data
If a sandbox is created with the production data option, a number of precautions are taken for that sandbox:
- The job queue is automatically stopped.
- Any base application integration settings are cleared.
- Outbound HTTP calls from extensions are blocked by default and must be approved per extension.
- Any GDPR action must be handled separately and repeated for the sandbox, there is no synchronization with the production environment after the sandbox has been created.
To enable outbound HTTP calls, go to the Extensions Management page and choose Configure. Then, on the Extension Settings page, make sure that the Allow HttpClient Request checkbox is selected. This setting must be enabled per extension.
When either a major or minor update of Business Central has been applied to an environment, an email notification is sent to notify recipients that the upgrade has completed successfully. The notification is sent to all email addresses listed in the Notification recipients list of the Business Central administration center. The list is managed manually by adding and removing recipients to ensure the right individuals are notified of the event.
The Business Central administration center provides telemetry for the tenant environments to enable troubleshooting and support for the tenant.
To filter the telemetry for an environment:
- Select a base point in time for the timestamp of the telemetry messages.
- Enter a number of minutes before or after the base point in time to set a range of time for the timestamp. A negative number indicates a number of minutes before the base point in time, and a positive number indicates a number of minutes following the base point in time. For example, a value of -15 will filter the telemetry messages to a timestamp range of up to 15 minutes before the base point in time.
- Select the message type.
- Select the environment.
- Click Filter.