Minimum PC hardware guidelines
Guidelines for development PCs are higher than those for consumers' PCs running mixed reality apps. If you're a mixed reality developer, see recommended development PC specifications.
Performance may vary depending on your exact setup. You'll also need to make sure your PC has the right ports for the Windows Mixed Reality immersive headset that you are using.
Windows Mixed Reality PC Check app
The Windows Mixed Reality PC Check app is the best way to make sure your PC is ready to run Windows Mixed Reality.
Upon running the app, you'll get one of the following messages:
- You're good to go. Your PC has what it takes to run Windows Mixed Reality.
- You’re nearly there. This PC may be able to run Windows Mixed Reality, but some features might be limited.
- Can't run mixed reality. This PC doesn't meet the minimum requirements needed to run Windows Mixed Reality.
You will then get an analysis of your PC against the required hardware, drivers, and operating system.
|Icon||What it means|
|Your PC passes the required item.|
|There may be issues with your PC for the given requirement. If you encounter issues, you may need to troubleshoot or upgrade your PC.|
|Your PC does not meet the requirements for the specified item.|
We will be updating, making additions to and may be revising these Windows Mixed Reality PC Compatibility Guidelines. Please check back regularly for the latest guidelines and requirements.
|Windows Mixed Reality Ultra PCs||Windows Mixed Reality PCs|
|Operating System||Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (RS3) - Home, Pro, Business, Education.
(Note: Not supported on N versions or Windows 10 Pro in S Mode)
|Processor||Intel Core i5 4590 (4th generation), quad-core (or better) |
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.4Ghz (desktop), quad-core (or better)
|Intel Core i5 7200U (7th generation mobile), dual-core with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology enabled (or better)|
|RAM||8GB DDR3 (or better)||8GB DDR3 dual channel (or better)|
|Free disk space||At least 10 GB|
Note: GPU must be hosted in a PCIe 3.0 x4+ Link slot
|Graphics Driver||Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 2.2||Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 2.2|
|Graphics display port||HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort 1.2||HDMI 1.4 or DisplayPort 1.2|
|Display||Connected external or integrated VGA (800x600) display (or better)|
|USB connectivity||USB 3.0 Type-A or Type-C|
|Bluetooth connectivity (for motion controllers)||Bluetooth 4.0|
|Expected headset framerate||90 Hz||60 Hz|
- Larger laptops (with screens of at least 15") perform best.
- Hybrid graphics configurations are compatible only with a Windows Mixed Reality Ultra setup. The hybrid system’s discrete card must meet the same specifications listed for Windows Mixed Reality Ultra above.
- Different headsets may require different hardware ports, so make sure your PC has the correct ports or necessary adapters to connect to your headset.
Discrete and integrated graphics hardware that don't meet the minimum confirmed specifications have not been tested, confirmed, or optimized for Windows Mixed Reality and may not function properly or at all.
Windows Mixed Reality and Surface
Surface Book 2, Surface Studio, Surface Laptop and Surface Pro (2017) support Windows Mixed Reality when equipped with an Intel Core i5 CPU (or better) and at least 8GB of RAM.
- Surface products require driver updates to be compatible with Windows Mixed Reality. These drivers can be installed on your Surface by going to Settings > Update and Security > Check for Updates.
- Surface products require an adapter from the video port (Mini DisplayPort or USB-C, depending on the Surface PC) to HDMI 2.0 for Windows Mixed Reality headsets. The most recent version of the Surface Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI AV Adapter is compatible with HDMI 2.0 (the older version is not). Similarly, the Surface USB-C to HDMI Adapter is also compatible with HDMI 2.0.
Not all Mini DisplayPort or USB-C to HDMI adapters are HDMI 2.0-capable. Consider checking for explicit “HDMI 2.0” compatibility or “4K” compatibility on any adapter.
More information on Surface compatibility with Windows Mixed Reality is available in the table below:
|Surface||Windows Mixed Reality supported?||Minimum configuration||Notes|
|Surface Pro (original)/ Surface Pro 2||No|
|Surface Pro 3||No|
|Surface Pro 4||No|
|Surface Book with Performance Base||No|
|Surface Pro (2017)||Yes||Intel 7th generation Core i5/i7 with 8GB of RAM or more||
|Surface Book 2 (13.5" and 15")||Yes||All configurations||
|Surface Studio||Yes||All configurations||
|Surface Laptop||Yes||Intel 7th generation Core i5/i7 with 8GB of RAM or more||