Add users to your organization or project
Azure DevOps Services
Learn how to add users to your organization, and specify the level of features they can use, such as Basic or Stakeholder. The following types of users can join your organization for free:
- Five users who get Basic features, such as version control, tools for Agile, Java, build, release, and more
- Unlimited users who get Stakeholder features, such as working with your backlog, work items, and queries
- Unlimited Visual Studio subscribers who also get Basic features, and in some cases, additional features with specific extensions, such as Test Manager
How access differs from permissions
Features that are available to users are controlled by access levels - the full set of organization resources that a user is entitled to access. Permissions control which of these organization resources the user can act on. To learn more, see Default permissions and access for Azure DevOps.
You must have project collection administrator or owner permissions in Azure DevOps. For more information, see Set permissions at the project level or project collection level.
Add users to your organization
Administrators can now add users to an organization, grant access to appropriate tooling extensions and service access level, and add users to groups all in one view. You can add up to 50 users at once. You can add more than 50 users by repeatedly using this Users view. When you add users, each receives a notification email with a link to the organization page.
If you have an Azure Active Directory (Azure AD)-backed organization, and you need to add users who are external to Azure AD, first add external users. On the Tell us about this user page, under Type of user, be sure to choose User with an existing Microsoft account. After you complete those steps, use the following steps to add the Azure AD user to Azure DevOps.
To give other users access to your organization, add their email addresses.
Sign in to your organization (
Select Organization settings.
Select Users, and then select Add new users to open the form.
Enter information into the form.
- Users: Enter the Microsoft account's email address for the user organization. You can add several email addresses by separating them with a semicolon (;). Note that in Microsoft accounts, the email addresses appear in red.
- Access level: Leave the access level at Basic for users who contribute to the code base. To learn more, see About access levels.
- Add to projects: Select the project that you named in the previous procedure.
- Groups: Leave this entry at Project Contributors, the default security group for people who contribute to your project. To learn more, see Default permissions and access assignments.
Select Add to complete your invitation.
- Connect to a project
- Change individual permissions, grant select access to specific functions
- Grant or restrict access to select features and functions
- Delete users from Azure DevOps
- Troubleshoot adding and deleting organization users in Azure DevOps
- Troubleshoot adding members to projects in Azure DevOps
Send feedback about: